Actions that ensure you can do your job well and correctly.
- Regularly take breaks
- Attend regular debriefings
- Be strict with boundaries between clients
- Attend professional development programs
Ensuring you remain physically healthy and happy to have a good work-life social life.
- Healthy sleep routine
- healthy diet and eating times
- Take lunch breaks/coffee breaks
- No work on down-time
- Stretch/swim/walk or run, etc.
Actions that keep your mind sharp and ensure it can function well:
- Engage with personal hobby.
- Turn off your email and work phone outside of work hours.
- Emotional self-care through introspection
- Allowing yourself to safely experience your full range of emotions.
- Surround self with supportive friends and family
Talk to a friend about how you are coping with work and life demands.
Your view beyond the day-to-day life
- Engage in reflective practices like meditation
- Go to church/mosque/temple/nature
- Reflect with a close friend for support
Maintaining your relationships
- Prioritise close relationships in your life
- Attend the special events of your family and friends.
- Prioritising home over work
The following checklist has been adapted from Saakvitne, Pearlman, & Staff of TSI/CAAP Short Course Trauma Support And Counselling. Hospivision. Andre de la Porte and Trauma Team
But...I don't have time!
If you have ...
- Take your stress temperature
- Acknowledge one of your achievements
- Say no to a new responsibility
- Complement yourself
- Look out the window
- Spend time with your pet
- Share a favourite joke
- Listen to music
- Have a cleansing cry
- Chat with a co-worker
- Sing out loud
- Jor down dreams
- Step outside for fresh air
- Enjoy a snack or make some coffee/tea
- Evaluate your day
- Write a journal
- Call a friend
- Tidy your work area
- Access your self-care
- Draw a picture
- Listen to soothing sounds
- Surf the web
- Read a magazine
- Get a massage
- Eat lunch with a co-worker
- Take a bubble bath
- Read non-work related literature
- Spend time in nature
- Go shopping
- Practice yoga
- Watch your favourite tv show
(Volk, Guarino, Grandin, & Clervil, 2008)